Blue? Yes, blue as in the blues. As in “I am feeling blue.” Not everyone is up and cheery for the Christmas holidays. Dealing with the death of a loved one, facing life after divorce or separation, coping with the loss of a job, living with cancer or some other disease that puts a question mark over the future, and a number of other human situations make parties and joviality painful for many people in our congregations and communities. If you are feeling this way please join us on Thursday, December 20th at 7:00 p.m. in Epworth Hall.
Part Time Children’s Ministry Team Leader
Title: Children’s Ministry Team Leader, immediate opening
Reports to: Outreach Team Leader
Required Credentials: Team building success, Christian witness, proficiency with children and parents
Compensation: Part time $25,000/year, hours negotiable for 25 hours
To be considered: Our Application Process
- Submit a 2-page paper on your *philosophy of ministry around family/children in the church and community. * a philosophy of ministry takes a child from birth through 6th grade with focus on spiritual, social, and family growth through the church’s unique gifts to the world, including but not limited to reasoning and activities behind and included in the steps.
- Submit your Christian faith journey.
- Submit at least 3 references around your experience working with families and children.
- Submit a resume reflecting this job description.
- Submit either DiSC or Myers Briggs results or be willing to take inventory.
- Send all the above to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A team member will acknowledge your complete application
Objective: The Children’s Ministry Team Leader finds focus in Westwood UMC’s 2020 vision to help foster Spiritual Growth through Faith Led Development for children and families, as well as to assist with intentional youth/child and family outreach. This person will oversee the Christian education program and develop a weekday ministry to and with families and children. The main goal is to make disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, grow, and serve at Westwood UMC from a young age.
8 Core Principles to Westwood Ministry Positions
- Gospel focused in a Wesleyan theological understanding.
- Transformation, not stagnation, of individuals and ministry.
- Team approach to ministry through scouting, training, vision casting, and release with support.
- Able to work with all staff in a professional manner.
- Familiar with use of social media as a staff member of WUMC and growing use of such.
- Pursuit of excellence in all aspects of life.
- Responsibility for church growth and support of the church vision.
- Continued enhancement of skills and knowledge.
- A commitment and love of Christ and a calling to a complete and healthy children’s ministry within the church and community that ministers to all and is exciting for children, who will want to return.
- Actively involved in Worship, Grow (small group, spiritual disciplines), and Serve.
- Positive Role Model, Christian Character, and practicing spiritual disciplines.
- Development of ministry teams in and for various ministries for nursery – 6th graders.
- Teachable and growing in personal development with plan agreed to by Senior Pastor.
- Eagerness to lead and self-motivated in planning, creating, and implementing programs though teams while working with the staff on church-wide efforts
- Strong oral, written, and media communication skills.
- Gifts in organization and administration a plus.
- Live within a reasonable distance to primary ministry area of the church.
- Requires passing a background and drug check.
- Work with appropriate church members and leaders to set goals, determine priorities, establish programs, promote, and coordinate calendar.
- Oversee areas of Children’s Ministry with a focus on discipleship including but not limited to transformational curriculum and programs like mentoring, family support, etc.
- Provide leadership to the educational ministry of the church, including identifying gifts of leaders and promoting their involvement.
- Empower parents and grandparents to be involved with the faith development of their family.
- Oversee the development of a budget and order supplies and curriculum.
- Scout, recruit, support, and provide training for teams, teachers and assistants, nursery for all aspects of ministry.
- Teach and follow all church policies including Safe Sanctuary to all servants.
- Supervise age-level education ministries including nursery, preschool, and elementary such as: Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Kingdom Club, VBS in a Box, etc.
- Help plan and recruit volunteers for special programs such as Jesus’ Birthday Party, Breakfast in Bethlehem, Egg-stravaganza, and Trunk or Treat.
- Work with Community Outreach Team for large children’s outreach events such as Day Camp, I Love Westwood, Upward, Club 56, and our partnership with Westwood Elementary.
- Other duties as needed.
Position details: Part time, salaried, to start ASAP
Salary: $25,000 with reimbursable account of $2500 in children’s budget
Accountability: Children’s Ministry Team Leader is accountable to Westwood UMC’s SPRC committee and would report to Outreach Team Leader.
Breakfast starts at 9:30 am followed by a craft creation bazaar!
Kids’ Craft Fair- children are invited to different craft tents where they can make ornaments, decorate a cupcake, roll a pine cone, and other fun activities.
Santa Secret Shop- Kids are able to purchase small gifts for the family and wrap them up for under the tree. A few bucks goes a long way!
Breakfast and the Crafts are free! Santa Secret Gifts are all under $2!
The Prayer Administration Team is in the process of setting up another Breakthrough Prayer Retreat for next year. We would like as much input as possible from the congregation on what kind of retreat would be the most helpful and inspiring. We have created a survey to gather information. If you are interested, please fill out a survey online at found . Surveys can also be found at our kiosk and we will be distributing them in the gym between services. Your opinions matter!
The Prayer Administration Team; meeting has been changed to October 28th at 12:15 p.m. in the Parlor.
When: Friday, October 5 – Sunday, October 7 Where: St. Paul Community United Methodist Church
Join us for a weekend of sharing and learning with local and global missionaries and mission partners from Colombia, Cuba, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Puerto Rico as we discover more about how to participate together in God’s mission around the world and in our backyard.
Friday, 6:00-8:00 PM: Mission Celebration Banquet Pastor and mission teams are invited to a festive Caribbean themed banquet to celebrate our mission partners and kick off our weekend events. Reserve your spot at https://bit.ly/2oL4vkS.
Saturday, 10:00-3:30 PM: Missional Workshops Hear about new paradigms for mission engagement as we learn how to relate cross-culturally, work together mutually, and respond to God’s call to bing about Christ’s Kingdom of redemption, reconciliation, and restoration. Register at https://bit.ly/2MGOKFS.
Sunday, 3:00-6:00 PM: Abundant Fruit Worship and Gathering Mr. George G. Howard from the General Board of Global Ministries will be our guest preacher and we will celebrate World Communion. After worship we’ll continue our time of celebration with an elegant hors d’oeuvre and dessert reception featuring displays from the various ministries & missions within the Ohio River Valley District who have received funding through district grants during 2018.
Sunday, September 30-Sunday, October 7 In addition to the weekend events, our mission partners will be available to visit local churches in the district. Each is coming prepared to preach, lead a program or engage in Q&A. Please contact Rev. Brad Olson if you would like someone to visit your church: email@example.com or 513.658.0951.